When you go abroad, make sure you try some local foods of the country. Samgyetang (삼계탕) or Ginseng Chicken Soup is one of the national foods of Korea and many tourists love to eat it! In this post, we will take you to Tosokchon Samgyetang, the most famous samgyetang restaurants in Seoul! Roh Moo-hyun, the president of South Korea from 2003 to 2008, frequently visits Tosokchon. His visits have made the restaurant even more popular.
During our #FoodInLoveKOREA trip, we had a lunch at Tosokchon after visited Gyeongbokgung Palace. Since it’s located near the palace, you only need to walk around 10 mins from the palace (for detail location, please read the direction at the end of this post). You’ll know that you’ve arrived when you see the entrance with rotisserie chicken roasting in the front.
For complete guide and list of 30 things to eat in Seoul, please read [KOREA] FOOD GUIDE – What to Eat in Seoul
Guide to the best destinations to enjoy Autumn in Seoul, please read [KOREA] AUTUMN IN SEOUL – Fall Foliage Destinations and Places to Visit
Need more info to plan your daily itinerary in Seoul? Check our itinerary guide [KOREA] ITINERARY TRAVEL GUIDE – Top Places to Visit in Seoul
The restaurant was known to have long queues, so please beware if you’re coming at lunch time. Fortunately, we coming for late lunch around 3 PM and there is no queue so we were directly be seated. However, the queue should move pretty quickly as there are a whopping 420 seats throughout the restaurant!
Tosokchon is housed in a Korean traditional Hanok style building with a courtyard and features traditional Korean style tables inside small divided rooms. Before entering the dining room, guests first remove their shoes and then sit on the ground on padded floor mats while eating. The service was prompt even though the restaurant was quite full and busy.
Tosokchon Samgyetang (Tosokchon Ginseng Chicken Soup)
Samgyetang is a dish consisting of chicken ginseng soup which is simply a whole young chicken in a broth of Korean ginseng. The chicken is then stuffed with glutinous rice, garlic, nuts, Korean dates, and more ginseng. The combination of fall off the bone chicken, broth, rice, and stuffing make samgyetang a unique and flavorful Korean dish that seems to get better with every bite. The broth has a rich white milky appearance along with a sweet after note. For more comforting taste, you can dip the chicken in salt and pepper.
Tosokchon Ogolgye Samgyetang
(Tosokchon Ginseng Black Chicken (silky fowl) Soup)
It is a premium version of the normal chicken stew. Black chicken, which has been considered to be very nourishing, is used instead. The health properties of a ‘white’ chicken and ‘black’ chicken may be different, but they tasted the same.
Since the chicken is stuffed, the inside should be very clean. At Tosokchon, the chicken seems clean thoroughly and is very fresh. The glutinous rice, which usually is too sticky and hard elsewhere, has the right consistency. There is also a ginseng liquor that you can pour into the broth.
Jeongigui Tongdak (Tosokchon Rotisserie Chicken)
Instead of their ginseng chicken soup, this rotisserie chicken is our most favorite! It’s heavenly delicious with crispy skin outside and juicy tender meat inside. The chicken is bold of flavor and seasoning. It’s also perfectly paired with salt and pepper or chili sauce. Massiseyo!
Overall, Tosokchon served authentic and delicious samgyetang and many chicken dishes. Is it the best in Seoul? At least we can put our trust in the late President’s taste. We can say that it’s a mandatory to include this restaurant into your itinerary if you are traveling to Seoul. Even though the line may look long, it does seem to move fairly quickly if you decide to wait it out. The best time to visit is one hour before lunch or one hour after lunch.
How to getting there: Take exit 2 of Gyeongbokgung Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), go straight about 170m and turn left onto Jahamun-ro 5-gil Road. Tosokchon (토속촌) is located 10m ahead on the left.
KOREA ULTIMATE TRAVEL GUIDE:
- [KOREA] FOOD GUIDE – What to Eat in Seoul
- [KOREA] AUTUMN IN SEOUL – Fall Foliage Destinations and Places to Visit
- [KOREA] ITINERARY TRAVEL GUIDE – Top Places to Visit in Seoul
Korea Travel Series:
- [KOREA] NAMI ISLAND (NAMISEOM 남이섬 종합휴양지) – Travel Guide
- [KOREA] SEOMHYANGGI (섬향기) – Korean BBQ in Nami Island
- [KOREA] HANEUL PARK (SEOUL WORLD CUP PARK) – Travel Guide
- [KOREA] N SEOUL TOWER / NAMSAN TOWER (남산서울타워) – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] EWHA WOMANS UNIVERSITY – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] BUKCHON HANOK VILLAGE (북촌한옥마을) – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] NAMSANGOL HANOK VILLAGE (남산골한옥마을) – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] SEOUL LANTERN FESTIVAL 2016
- [KOREA] SULBING (설빙) KOREAN DESSERT CAFE – Seoul
- [KOREA] SOFTREE ICE CREAM – Itaewon, Seoul
- [KOREA] LINE FRIENDS STORE & CAFE – Seoul
- [KOREA] OSULLOC TEA HOUSE 오설록 티하우스
- [KOREA] HANCHU (한추) – Gangnam, Seoul
- [KOREA] BHC CHICKEN – Seoul
- [KOREA] CHICKEN & CURRY GOON (치킨앤 카레군) – Hongdae, Seoul
- [KOREA] TOSOKCHON SAMGYETANG – Seoul
- [KOREA] MYEONGDONG KYOJA (명동교자) – Myeongdong, Seoul
- [KOREA] GOGUNG (고궁) – Myeongdong, Seoul
- [KOREA] JAEDONG SUNDUBU (재동순두부) – Seoul
- [KOREA] SAEMUL SIKDANG / NEW VILLAGE KOREAN BBQ RESTAURANT (새마을식당) – Hongdae, Seoul
- [KOREA] GIMGANE – Myeongdong, Seoul
- [KOREA] BUKCHON SON MANDU 북촌손만두 – Seoul
- [KOREA] ME? STEAK! Steak & Beer in a Cup – Hongdae, Seoul
5, Jahamun-ro 5-gil, Jongno-gu
Seoul, South Korea
Opening Hour: Everyday (10 AM – 10 PM)
How to getting there:
Take exit 2 of Gyeongbokgung Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), go straight about 170m and turn left onto Jahamun-ro 5-gil Road. Tosokchon (토속촌) is located 10m ahead on the left.
Follow us for latest update and more culinary experience
Don’t forget to subscribe / follow our blog so you can get an update on your email about our new post.