If you’re looking for a great variety of delicious gimbap in Seoul, this is definitely the place. Located in Myeongdong area, this small kimbap shop is totally worth it! Gimgane is casual Korean restaurant run by a Korean family which specializes in gimbap, noodles, and rice dishes.
During our #FoodInLoveKOREA trip, we stay in Myeongdong and luckily found this small restaurant. From the outside, the restaurant looked fairly busy and there were many locals who eat in so that was a good sign. They have a lady at the front of the restaurant making fresh gimbap and tteobokki which looks very tempting. There was a menu outside and the options looked appealing, so we decided to give it a try and walked in.
For complete guide and list of 30 things to eat in Seoul, please read [KOREA] FOOD GUIDE – What to Eat in Seoul
Guide to the best destinations to enjoy Autumn in Seoul, please read [KOREA] AUTUMN IN SEOUL – Fall Foliage Destinations and Places to Visit
Need more info to plan your daily itinerary in Seoul? Check our itinerary guide [KOREA] ITINERARY TRAVEL GUIDE – Top Places to Visit in Seoul
The place was quite small but totally comfortable! You can see the chefs making the food with your own eyes due to their open kitchen concept. Drink, cutlery, tissue, and side dishes like kimchi or yellow pickled radish is all self-serve. We liked the kimchi here as it was crunchy and wonderfully flavored with the right amount of spice.
From 14 selections of Gimbap, we ordered Cheese Gimbap. Gimbap is a Korean dish made from cooked rice and various other ingredients rolled in gim and served in bite-size slices. It’s more like the Korean version of Sushi. The rice was soft, fragrant, and delicious with radish, carrots, veggies, and cheese. It’s flavorful and tasted savory due to the cheese, and also fragrance because they rub sesame oil on top.
Ramyun with Spicy Rice Cake
This hot and spicy ramyun is the best comfort food in the chilly cold weather. It served with egg, tteobokki (rice cake), and vegetable. We really love the texture of the noodle, it like the instant noodles but that’s how Koreans usually have their ramyun. It is cooked well in that it is springy and still a bit chewy. The soup has a powerful taste with a kick of spicy. Piping this hot and spicy soup is the most comfortable feeling on cold weather and it just warms your body instantly.
Hot Noodle Soup (Plain Noodle)
Instead of cold noodle, we ordered this hot noodle soup. The noodles served with carrot, onion, pickles, and seaweed. The texture of the noodles was really soft but unfortunately, the soup tastes quite bland and lack of flavor or maybe it does not fit our taste.
Boiled Pork Dumplings
They have many kinds of mandu (dumplings) and we opted to the boiled pork dumplings. It was bit tiny so it was so easy to eat in one bite. The fillings were full of flavors and very juicy. It also tastes good when dipped in soy sauce.
Overall, we would definitely recommend Gimgane to all of you. It’s tourist-friendly spot because they provide English menu and all of their food taste so good! (FYI: one person must order at least 1 item)
How to getting there: Take exit 6 of Myeongdong Station, go north on Myeongdong 8-gil. Gimgane located on the right side (next to KFC), on the three-way junction with Myengdong 7ga-gil.
KOREA ULTIMATE TRAVEL GUIDE:
- [KOREA] FOOD GUIDE – What to Eat in Seoul
- [KOREA] AUTUMN IN SEOUL – Fall Foliage Destinations and Places to Visit
- [KOREA] ITINERARY TRAVEL GUIDE – Top Places to Visit in Seoul
Korea Travel Series:
- [KOREA] NAMI ISLAND (NAMISEOM 남이섬 종합휴양지) – Travel Guide
- [KOREA] SEOMHYANGGI (섬향기) – Korean BBQ in Nami Island
- [KOREA] HANEUL PARK (SEOUL WORLD CUP PARK) – Travel Guide
- [KOREA] N SEOUL TOWER / NAMSAN TOWER (남산서울타워) – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] EWHA WOMANS UNIVERSITY – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] BUKCHON HANOK VILLAGE (북촌한옥마을) – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] NAMSANGOL HANOK VILLAGE (남산골한옥마을) – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] SEOUL LANTERN FESTIVAL 2016
- [KOREA] SULBING (설빙) KOREAN DESSERT CAFE – Seoul
- [KOREA] SOFTREE ICE CREAM – Itaewon, Seoul
- [KOREA] LINE FRIENDS STORE & CAFE – Seoul
- [KOREA] OSULLOC TEA HOUSE 오설록 티하우스
- [KOREA] HANCHU (한추) – Gangnam, Seoul
- [KOREA] BHC CHICKEN – Seoul
- [KOREA] CHICKEN & CURRY GOON (치킨앤 카레군) – Hongdae, Seoul
- [KOREA] TOSOKCHON SAMGYETANG – Seoul
- [KOREA] MYEONGDONG KYOJA (명동교자) – Myeongdong, Seoul
- [KOREA] GOGUNG (고궁) – Myeongdong, Seoul
- [KOREA] JAEDONG SUNDUBU (재동순두부) – Seoul
- [KOREA] SAEMUL SIKDANG / NEW VILLAGE KOREAN BBQ RESTAURANT (새마을식당) – Hongdae, Seoul
- [KOREA] GIMGANE – Myeongdong, Seoul
- [KOREA] BUKCHON SON MANDU 북촌손만두 – Seoul
- [KOREA] ME? STEAK! Steak & Beer in a Cup – Hongdae, Seoul
45-1 Myeongdong 1(il)-ga, Jung-gu
Seoul, South Korea
Phone: +82 2-777-7879
Weekday: 8 AM – 10.30 PM
Weekend: 9 AM – 10.30 PM
How to getting there:
Take exit 6 of Myeongdong Station, go north on Myeongdong 8-gil. Gimgane located on the right side (next to KFC), on the three-way junction with Myengdong 7ga-gil.
Follow us for latest update and more culinary experience
Don’t forget to subscribe / follow our blog so you can get an update on your email about our new post.