Hidden away in a small alley near Anguk station, Jaedong Sundubu (재동순두부) is popular even among the locals. The restaurant serves a variety of traditional Korean dishes, including Sundubu, Bibimbap (mixed rice), Kongguksu (noodles in cold soy milk broth), Pajeon (scallion pancake), and Korean BBQ.
During our #FoodInLoveKOREA trip, we visited Jaedong Sundubu for lunch. It was a little confusing to get there, not the subway or anything, but after taking the exit, all signage was in Korean and the restaurant located in a small alley. For your guidance, we posted the detail location and “how to getting there” at the end of this post.
For complete guide and list of 30 things to eat in Seoul, please read [KOREA] FOOD GUIDE – What to Eat in Seoul
Guide to the best destinations to enjoy Autumn in Seoul, please read [KOREA] AUTUMN IN SEOUL – Fall Foliage Destinations and Places to Visit
Need more info to plan your daily itinerary in Seoul? Check our itinerary guide [KOREA] ITINERARY TRAVEL GUIDE – Top Places to Visit in Seoul
When we reached the restaurant, it was filled with locals. The main hall is set up with tables and chairs while rooms over at the sides are designed in traditional style where customers are required to take off their shoes and sit on floor cushions at low tables.
Just like any other Korean restaurant, when you order a dish they will give you free drink and banchan (side dishes). We got roasted seaweed, anchovies, gyeranmari (rolled egg), kimchi, and seasoned squash. You also can refill the side dishes for free, you could fill them up as many times as you like. What we like from Jaedong Sunbudu is, they also served you a bowl of steamed rice for free while at other Korean restaurants you need to order it separately.
Since it is a tofu house, we eagerly anticipated trying the Haemul Sudubu or seafood and soft tofu stew (KRW 8,000) since it’s the signature at Jaedong Sundubu. We just ordered this food because we are in restaurant hopping mission, so we need to prepare our tummy to eat a lot of food throughout the day.
The Haemul Sundubu is a spicy Korean stew made with uncurdled tofu, bits of seafood, onions, chili flakes, oil, and finally a raw egg plopped in the middle of the boiling goodness. When served, the stew arrives bubbling and boiling. The tofu almost tastes like silky scrambled eggs and covered in red chili oil, coated in egg yolk, and eaten over rice with alternating bites of kimchi.
Overall, Sundubu is definitely one of the great South Korean food comfort dishes and Jaedong Sundubu is a place that you can find one of the best Sundubu in Seoul. The restaurant might be a little hard to find but worth the trouble. We especially love it during the autumn or winter when we need a hot stew and piping the hot spicy broth to warm our body. The dish literally remains piping hot until your last bite.
How to getting there:
Take exit 2 of Anguk Station (Seoul Subway Line 3). Walk outside and go straight less than 100 meters until you see the blue sign for Bukchon-ro 2-gil. Make a right on the small alley, and go down for about 20 meters until you see the white signs for the restaurant (there’s no English, please look for the signage pictured above).
KOREA ULTIMATE TRAVEL GUIDE:
- [KOREA] FOOD GUIDE – What to Eat in Seoul
- [KOREA] AUTUMN IN SEOUL – Fall Foliage Destinations and Places to Visit
- [KOREA] ITINERARY TRAVEL GUIDE – Top Places to Visit in Seoul
Korea Travel Series:
- [KOREA] NAMI ISLAND (NAMISEOM 남이섬 종합휴양지) – Travel Guide
- [KOREA] SEOMHYANGGI (섬향기) – Korean BBQ in Nami Island
- [KOREA] HANEUL PARK (SEOUL WORLD CUP PARK) – Travel Guide
- [KOREA] N SEOUL TOWER / NAMSAN TOWER (남산서울타워) – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] EWHA WOMANS UNIVERSITY – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] BUKCHON HANOK VILLAGE (북촌한옥마을) – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] NAMSANGOL HANOK VILLAGE (남산골한옥마을) – Travel Diary
- [KOREA] SEOUL LANTERN FESTIVAL 2016
- [KOREA] SULBING (설빙) KOREAN DESSERT CAFE – Seoul
- [KOREA] SOFTREE ICE CREAM – Itaewon, Seoul
- [KOREA] LINE FRIENDS STORE & CAFE – Seoul
- [KOREA] OSULLOC TEA HOUSE 오설록 티하우스
- [KOREA] HANCHU (한추) – Gangnam, Seoul
- [KOREA] BHC CHICKEN – Seoul
- [KOREA] CHICKEN & CURRY GOON (치킨앤 카레군) – Hongdae, Seoul
- [KOREA] TOSOKCHON SAMGYETANG – Seoul
- [KOREA] MYEONGDONG KYOJA (명동교자) – Myeongdong, Seoul
- [KOREA] GOGUNG (고궁) – Myeongdong, Seoul
- [KOREA] JAEDONG SUNDUBU (재동순두부) – Seoul
- [KOREA] SAEMUL SIKDANG / NEW VILLAGE KOREAN BBQ RESTAURANT (새마을식당) – Hongdae, Seoul
- [KOREA] GIMGANE – Myeongdong, Seoul
- [KOREA] BUKCHON SON MANDU 북촌손만두 – Seoul
- [KOREA] ME? STEAK! Steak & Beer in a Cup – Hongdae, Seoul
Jaedong Sundubu (재동순두부)
84-11 Jae-dong, Jongno-gu
Seoul, South Korea
Phone: +82 2-747-0011
Monday – Saturday (11 AM – 8 PM)
How to getting there:
Take exit 2 of Anguk Station (Seoul Subway Line 3). Walk outside and go straight less than 100 meters until you see the blue sign for Bukchon-ro 2-gil. Make a right on the small alley, and go down for about 20 meters until you see the white signs for the restaurant (there’s no English, please look for the signage pictures above).
Follow us for latest update and more culinary experience
Don’t forget to subscribe / follow our blog so you can get an update on your email about our new post.